Kayaking Types - Winter Kayaking
For a number of years now, Kayaking is rapidly becoming popular. If you prefer some privacy when paddling, then you would definitely enjoy Winter Kayaking. Here are some things that you should know about Winter Kayaking:
Of course, one obvious factor to consider when kayaking in winter is the air and water temperature. It will definitely be cold outside so you will need gear and Kayaking Clothing specifically for winter use. So what should you wear for Kayaking in winter?
Look for clothing such as dry tops, dry suits and fabrics that will keep you warm even when wet. You may also use wetsuits. For your hands, wear neoprene gloves and pogies. You may feel uncomfortable wearing a pair of pogies but you will soon get the hang of it. It is important to protect your head as most body heat is lost through it so wear a warm skullcap. Wear clothing that will definitely keep you warm but at the same time is not too bulky. Donít forget warm socks and shoes. Moreover, you can bring an extra set of clothes that you can wear after the activity.
Winter Kayaking will definitely be different so expect more challenging waves and holes. Look for pieces of Kayaking Gear which are specifically made for Paddling in winter. Snow and frost can make a familiar river into something you have never tried before so be very careful. There is no room for Playboating here as you may find more extreme whitewater in winter. Bring safety and emergency gear.
As in any kind of sport, it is but important to practice safety precautions. Since Winter Kayaking is more challenging and dangerous, here are some things to take into account:
- Never go Kayaking under the influence of alcohol.
- Ice can build up on your Kayak so make sure to check it regularly.
- Inspect all pieces of gear and Kayaking Equipment to ensure they are in good working condition.
- Bring enough water and food.
- Do not wear anything made of cotton.
- Do not go Kayaking alone. If you are into solo Kayaking, inform someone about your trip and when you are expected to return.
- Never paddle without a compass.
- Wooden Kayak Paddles are more advisable to use.
- Always wear a flotation device.
These are only some of the safety precautions that you should remember when kayaking in winter. The important thing that you can do is to dress appropriately, bring the right set of gear, and learn more about the place where you will go Kayaking. It is always a good thing to be prepared and alert at all times. With enough knowledge and preparation, Winter Kayaking can definitely be a new and enjoyable experience.